Q & A with Indian American Girl SIA who feature at Cannes red carpet
- What is your goal in life? Or in other words what do you really want to achieve in life?
I have felt it so I know how body shaming means for young minds like mine so if I get chance I would like to present an image of icon for those who want to come out of negativity and complexes.
My mission is ‘’Raise Yourself To Help Mankind’.
- What do you want to be known as in your life – a model? a Dancer / Kathak Exponent? or an actress? Which of these gives you the most joy?
I would love to keep persuading all my interests in my personal life, currently I am leaned toward modeling & acting, I also wanna pursue in medical field but I think I am young and have long way to explore all options.
- Why did the organisers of Cannes Short Film Festival request you to participate in their event at Cannes? – Or in other words – What did you do to deserve this opportunity / What are your credentials to be requested to participate in this prestigious event?
Nowadays, many companies in fashion industry believes in all inclusive. It means it doesn’t matter how your outer look is they want to showcase reality in the modeling world rather than typical slim & tall look. So my mom was sending pics to different agencies. I had a photo shoot with Luxury brand called Designer Dream Collection in Ohio and those pics was seen by Andres Aquino. So both designers made it happen …
- What are the preparations you did before coming to Cannes?
Actually I was taking summer school while all these was going on so it was challenging for us to prepare but my family helped me so much during this time. I primarily concentrated upon
-walking in big heels
-learning to do make up by myself as back up
Different outfits and accessories shopping
And much more …
- As an Indian / American / Indian-American what has been your experience at Cannes? Were you discriminated against or were you given more preference?
I was very young among them so treated me very nicely.
- Modeling is usually the realm of girls between 5’10” and 6’2” – since you are way below that height were you discriminated against or were you given more preference?
Yes, there were funny episodes like if some comes from out side when all models are there they would come to me and ask Sweety please wear your heels….even though I was wearing one .. …but as soon as they realize they would hug me or we all laugh it out so no I didn’t feel anything negative.
- Whose designs are you wearing at Cannes (if they are more than one – please share all with the events associated) as costume? as jewellery? as accessories
Global Short film awards gala I wore Andres Aquino
For Cannes Film festival red Carpet I will be wearing Designer Dream Collection by Anjali Phougat.
- How are you feeling after you have participated in the event?
I didn’t realize first but I am representing American Indian, India, Gujarat, South Asian here. It feels so good. Immediately people say Gujarat where Modi is from ….which is very surprising everyone knows India’s PM’s native place too.
- What are the major take aways from the event for you?
This was my first international event which is huge. Meeting people from all around the world, communicating and representing as American Indian on a global platform gave me tremendous confidence. Everyone was so loving and caring made me feel very special.
The main thing I am taking away is the feeling of joy and special message for all of those teenagers who are not feeling comfortable in their appearance as I was one of them …..we need to come out of that zone and explore because world has a lot to offer ….
- How do think this exposure will help you in furthering your career?
As everyone around me are saying …getting this kind of opportunity at this young age has raised the bar for me. So definitely I will work towards maintaining it or to even raise it higher in future.